[ale] OT: question about replacing batteries in a APC UPS

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Dec 19 11:10:25 EST 2005

Warren Myers wrote:

> I've never had any issues with APC UPSs, but have known several people
> who had belkin or tripplites that croaked for no apparent reason.
>
> I've also never tried replacing the batteries in any of my units.
> They've all been running fine since the day I bought them (other than
> the one that got covered in about 4" of water, that one pretty much
> bit the dust :) )
>
> Also, at least from when I've been looking, the APC units tend to be
> the least expensive of the various UPSs out there, each time I've
> bought one, the belkins and tripplites were 10-25% more.
>
> WMM
>
> On 12/19/05, *Van Loggins* <vanloggins at gmail.com
> <mailto:vanloggins at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I used to have a Minuteman XRT-1000 that I used for several years
>     until it finally died on me, that was the best UPS I have ever owned.
>
>     Because I liked this unit so much I just bought a Minuteman Pro
>     700 UPS, hopefully it will impress me just as much as it's older
>     brother did when it was alive and well. :)
>
>     Thanks for the feedback guys. No more APC ups units for me.
>
>     Van
>

>     On 12/19/05, *Van Loggins* <vanloggins at gmail.com
>     <mailto:vanloggins at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I would have suspected this too if the seller didn't have good
>         feedback.
>
>         this is his store site on ebay
>
>         http://stores.ebay.com/Gruber-Power-Services
>
>         this evening I am going to get my voltmeter out and test my
>         old batteries and then test my "new batteries" to see how much
>         juice they have. I may have to borrow my father's lawn mower
>         battery charger so I can charge them up to see how much charge
>         they will hold. I'm fairly certain that my APC Smart-UPS 1000
>         is shot though.
>

>         On 12/19/05, *James P. Kinney III* <
>         jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
>         <mailto:jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>> wrote:
>
>             Those "brand new" batteries off of ebay are worn out. Go
>             to Batteries
>             Plus and buy really brand new ones. Take both sets of your
>             old one back
>             to them. They will handle the recycling of them (the
>             batteries are taken
>             apart and the lead is extracted and made into more batteries.)
>
>             One of the biggest scams on EBay is "new" batteries for
>             power supplies.
>             The only way to tell is to do some serious charging
>             circuit monitoring
>             with manufacturing specs to compare with.

> http://warrenmyers.com
> "God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is
> going on with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s

Have had APC for several years, with no problems. The last UPC I bought
however, is an import (Made in China via Walmart.com). During the ice
storm last week, we got hit with multiple back-2-back powerhits. All
systems on APC UPS's (including my printer), were fine, my wife's system
is on the Made in China UPS had crashed because the UPS went into a
selftest mode causing it to shutdown power. As soon as I can, that one
is getting replaced with an APC, and you'll probably see my Made in
China UPS on e-Bay.

Scott Castaline