[ale] OT: question about replacing batteries in a APC UPS

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:54:42 EST 2005

I've never had any issues with APC UPSs, but have known several people who
had belkin or tripplites that croaked for no apparent reason.

I've also never tried replacing the batteries in any of my units. They've
all been running fine since the day I bought them (other than the one that
got covered in about 4" of water, that one pretty much bit the dust :) )

Also, at least from when I've been looking, the APC units tend to be the
least expensive of the various UPSs out there, each time I've bought one,
the belkins and tripplites were 10-25% more.

WMM

On 12/19/05, Van Loggins <vanloggins at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to have a Minuteman XRT-1000 that I used for several years until it
> finally died on me, that was the best UPS I have ever owned.
>
> Because I liked this unit so much I just bought a Minuteman Pro 700 UPS,
> hopefully it will impress me just as much as it's older brother did when it
> was alive and well. :)
>
> Thanks for the feedback guys. No more APC ups units for me.
>
> Van
>

> On 12/19/05, Van Loggins <vanloggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would have suspected this too if the seller didn't have good feedback.
> >
> > this is his store site on ebay
> >
> > http://stores.ebay.com/Gruber-Power-Services
> >
> > this evening I am going to get my voltmeter out and test my old
> > batteries and then test my "new batteries" to see how much juice they have.
> > I may have to borrow my father's lawn mower battery charger so I can charge
> > them up to see how much charge they will hold. I'm fairly certain that my
> > APC Smart-UPS 1000 is shot though.
> >

> > On 12/19/05, James P. Kinney III < jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Those "brand new" batteries off of ebay are worn out. Go to Batteries
> > > Plus and buy really brand new ones. Take both sets of your old one
> > > back
> > > to them. They will handle the recycling of them (the batteries are
> > > taken
> > > apart and the lead is extracted and made into more batteries.)
> > >
> > > One of the biggest scams on EBay is "new" batteries for power
> > > supplies.
> > > The only way to tell is to do some serious charging circuit monitoring
> > >
> > > with manufacturing specs to compare with.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s