[ale] Nmap + filtered ports

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Fri Dec 16 17:47:37 EST 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> I'm confused.  My man iptables says "DROP means to drop the packet on
> the floor." http://www.gophernet.org/articles/iptables.html has a more
> verbose explanation.  REJECT actually returns something, doesn't it?

That's the whole point -- you have to return something if you want it to
look "normal"

If you connect to a normal, unfiltered port with nothing listening on it,
a compliant TCP/IP stack does not drop your connecting packet on the
floor. Instead, it returns a response that lets you know there's no
service listening on that port:

* for TCP, it returns a TCP reset

* for UDP, it returns an ICMP port unreachable

By using the "-p tcp -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset" or "-p udp -j
REJECT", your filter response is the same as an unfiltered, unbound port's
response

That's not to say an "iptables -p tcp -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset"
is undetectable, just that it's a lot less obvious than an "iptables -p
tcp -j DROP". Whether that's good or bad is situation-dependent and
opinion-dependent ;-)

later,
chris