[ale] Nmap + filtered ports

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Dec 15 21:46:52 EST 2005

First, as noted previously, -j REJECT sends a packet back that nmap sees;
use DROP (or DENY if using Chains).

Second, generally it's best just to DROP all that you don't allow rather
than trying to get "clever".  You probably don't know enough about networking
to outsmart nmap or other very clever scanners and thus just will "tip your
hand".

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]