[ale] Recoding in Linux

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 17:35:33 EST 2005

Chris -

I'm not sure what you mean by "sound extremely good," but I think what
you're getting at is a gain structure problem.  By that, I mean that you
1) don't want the incoming audio to be so hot as to "rail up" the A/D
converter and 2) you don't want the level so low that it's only
exercising the lower 4 bits of 16 and thereby giving you a
Close-N'-Play-like theoretical max S/N of 24dB.

Were it me - and I've dealt with this sort of thing when digitizing from
reel-to-reel - I'd put one of these or something like it between your XM
radio and your PC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7374500771.

The compressor mode can be used to reduce or eliminate the railing-up,
and that would also be good for in-car listening, where the ambient
noise is real high.

Also see http://www.pgmusic.com/compressor.htm - the discussion of
"upward compression."

Jeff