[ale] Hack of the month...

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Dec 14 09:11:06 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 08:06 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> This is an attempt on one of my devices in colo.  At home I would not
> mind so much but this is a corporate site so I need to put a procedure
> in place so our support/admin staff can handle these attempts
> professionally and leagally.  Anyone here have a similar procedure and
> can give me insight?

It depends on what the system is doing that is being attacked. If it is
a financial system that could divulge personal info and cause much grief
(i.e. - lawsuit) then only allow ssh from specific IP addresses AND
require key access AND block password access AND log all other attempts
in iptables AND document the attempts and forward them to the upstream
provider of the would-be cracker.

Due to the native power of a *nix system (as compared to a windblowz) I
consider them to all be pretty much munitions grade hardware and as
such, ANY AND ALL unauthorized access or use is treated as a serious
criminal trespass.

All edge systems need something like Tripwire for integrity checks and
they must be used (i.e. verified against a known good record) daily.

Policy: All attempts to gain access by unauthorized persons should be
reported to the ISP of the unauthorized person with suitable legalize
documentation demanding follow-up communication about what the ISP did
and to whom.