[ale] SuSE update

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Wed Dec 14 07:49:25 EST 2005

On Wed December 14 2005 12:20 am, Tim Watts wrote:
> Just for the utter hell of it I'm trying to update my old SuSE 7.2
> system to 9.2. It's a crusty old 200 MHz Gateway. The problem I'm
> having is that it gets as far as loading Yast but the screen is
> unreadable. The sidebar text is black on black so there's no
> readable text anywhere on the panel. Can anyone give me some
> pointers as to what I can do about this -- are there some X params I
> can feed it at some point?

video problem.. what you need to do is CTRL-ALT-F1 and get to the text
login screen. login as root, and do init 3
then run sax2 and configure your video card. then reboot and X will
start. Every time I upgrade the kernel I have to rerun the nvidia
setup program, I think the ATI cards have a similar process.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800