[ale] Firewall Preference

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Dec 13 14:26:38 EST 2005

I now have space at a colo with 8 public IPs.  I need to install a
firewall but have a question on the best method.

1.  Should I install a firewall that bridges 2 network cards and
    sits between my equipment and a Cisco 2900XL?  This method I
    can consolidate all my rules on the firewall and then all
    my servers can have public IPs.

2.  Should I install a firewall that has 2 network cards and on the
    2nd interface install my equipment on a 192.168.1.X subnet.  I
    then give the first interface all 8 public IPs but using IP aliasing
    and then use one to one NAT to allow customers to access my
    equipment as if it was on a public segment.

Thanks,
Chris