[ale] No Sound from FC4 - Clue Needed

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Dec 12 19:47:17 EST 2005

 Background - My girlfriend's RH9 machine (not on a network) got seriously
 wacky, not getting through the boot sequence before rebooting, and then
 not booting at all. Rather than "waste" time with proper trouble shooting,
 I elected to replace.

 Problem: I'm not able to get FC4 fresh install to access the sound card
 hardware. The hardware works, because Knoppix 3.9 finds the sound card and
 works. Under fedora, I'm not able to play the cd drive (audio cd) nor get
 the sound config gui to successfully configure the sound card.

 The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 series, 865PE Motherboard (this
 from the manual) with a P-42.4 GHz processor and 256MB ram.  Sound is
 supposedly an integrated Realtech ALC655 AC '97 CODEC chip.

 Clues and/or actuall solutions happily accepted with thanks.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown