[ale] Delivering ALE meetings on "Video"

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:21:07 EST 2005

On 12/12/05, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
<snip>
> > Ugh.
> > Maybe BitTorrent...
>
> I don't think Bit Torrent will do much good, since we aren't likely to have
> dozens of seeds on line at any given time (unless the Bit Torrent mechanism
> is not the pure peer to peer system I think it is).

I still doubt it will help, but IIUC, even with one seed and 3
concurrent downloaders bittorrent can help with the upload traffic on
the server.

Not sure of the details, but client one will get a segment from the
server, then make it available to clients 2 and 3 for P2P sharing.

The clients seem to randomly grab segments, so you don't have an issue
where they are all trying to get the same segments at the same time.
Also the clients know which segments the other clients have so they
will attempt to get segments from the other clients simultaneously
with trying to get one segment from the main server.

It is all rather elegant, but from a single downloaders perspective I
find downloading an ISO direct from a good fast site significantly
faster than trying to get it from a bittorrent swarm.  Still I imagine
the cummulative download speed of a decent size swarm is more than a
typical server connection can provide.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer