[ale] Disappointed, could not find SUSE 10.0 to buy this morning :(

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:54:34 EST 2005

On 12/9/05, Paul Cartwright <paul_tbot at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> On Fri December 9 2005 6:17 pm, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > Thanks Thomas, I finally found time yesterday to go to Fry's and
> > pick up a copy.
> >
> > As far as online repositories of the various SUSE 10.0 rpms, Paul
> > Cartwright told me about "smart" as a tool to download various SUSE
> > rpms from apt repositories.
> >
> > AFAIK, the apt repositories are not official, so I don't know of
> > anywhere to get official rpms online. The various ISOs you can
> > download don't have all the rpms the retail version does (ie.
> > xfsdump). That is one of the things that drove me to go buy a
> > retail copy.
>
> yeah, but Fry's is 60 miles from me, it is much easier to use smart :)
> smart found xfsdump. I have found when I run smart update then use YOU
> there are still apps to update. Each program seems to pick up updates
> the other misses... I just today downloaded the HP rpm from HP, for my
> new hpoj5610 all-in-one. I ran smart upgrade and it updated that
> driver....
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright

Paul I did try smart and it seemed like a great tool for an
enthusiast.  ie. the exact market SUSE 10.0 is sold into.  Personally
I use it primarily as a business tool so I would prefer official rpm
sources.

And uniquely to my line of business if I use a SUSE distro to analyse
a client drive I may have to testify to the origin of the tools I
used.  I need to be able to say Novell/SUSE, not an unofficial apt
repository.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer