[ale] Ubuntu and Wireless post install?

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Sat Dec 10 10:26:14 EST 2005

On Sat December 10 2005 10:03 am, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> ? Anyone have enough experience with Ubuntu to help with getting
> wireless working on my laptop? ?I did the install by pcmcia wired
> connection. ?I found an unused wireless card I want to put in it.

personally, I don't have a laptop (yet), but I'm looking for one
soon... and I'm also looking into running Kubuntu on it. Right now I
USE SUSE 10.0

check out this web site:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Networking/Carnegie-Mellon-NetReg-NetMon-1031.shtml

netreg looks like a program you might need,

> ? The device manager sees the device but doesn't seem to load the
> modules and the eth1 device doesn't load. ?Anyone got the next step
> in the ubuntu way.

and this, from a UBUNTU Q&A session on installation:
http://www.linux.org/dist/reviews/ubuntu_breezy.html

My Marconi Moment

I took advantage of this Ubuntu install to take the plunge into the
wireless world. I'm kind of a late bloomer when it comes to these
types of things. Adding another network cable to the collection always
seemed simple enough. After moving to another city, however, running
cables all over the place didn't seem so easy or desirable anymore. I
had just read Linux writer Tom Adelstein's informative article about
setting up wireless networking on Ubuntu
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/lf/view/46385/
. According to Tom, this task had taken him less time than with
Windows. Since I've never set up a wireless network on Windows, I
can't verify this claim. I do know that setting it up with Ubuntu
Breezy Badger was quick and fairly painless. I purchased a Concentric
wireless access point and an accompanying Concentric card. The card
happened to have the same chipset as the article that Tom had
installed in his article, Ralink 2500. After assigning the wireless
access point an IP in my local range, I proceeded to follow Tom's
instructions and via Synaptic, I installed ndiswrapper, ndisgtk,
ndiswrapper-utils and ndiswrapper-source. Next, I restarted the GNOME
menus (killall gnome-panel) and like Tom, I was pleased to see the
menu item for installing Windows wireless drivers. I put the CD that
came with the card in the drive and clicked on 'Install New Driver'
and found the Windows XP driver, an *.inf file, on the CD. I returned
to the networking setup in the system menu and de-activated my
Ethernet card and activated the wireless card. And it worked. Like
Marconi so many years ago, I had received my first wireless packet.
This easy setup of the wireless system really xalleviated some of the
frustration I felt with the video codec situation.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800