[ale] Tarring Root FS

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Dec 9 15:12:17 EST 2005

I'm trying to make a backup of my hard drive without including the
directory /mksysb.  Tar keeps pulling files from that directory.

[root at localhost /]# sudo tar -l --same-owner -
cjpsf /mksysb/iso/data/DUMP-$lt.tar.bz2 --exclude ./mksysb/* .
tar: ./dev/log: socket ignored
tar: ./tmp/mysql.sock: socket ignored
tar: ./var/run/acpid.socket: socket ignored
tar: ./mksysb/iso/data/DUMP-.tar.bz2: file changed as we read it
[root at localhost /]#

Is there a way I can tell tar to backup /, stay on the same filesystem,
and do not get anything in /mksysb?

Thanks,
Chris