[ale] How do I get rid of these strange characters?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Dec 9 10:51:17 EST 2005

Recently I've been getting a lot of unusual characters instead of what I think should be displayed.
THis came from a FC4 system, but I've also noticed it on SuSE 9.3.  Sometimes the output
of C++ error messages is almost unreadable due to the wierd characters.  Is there
a locale or something I need to set?

vaprobe.cpp:55: error: ???deviceCount??? was not declared in this scope
vaprobe.cpp:66: error: ???deviceCount??? was not declared in this scope

Thanks,
Jim.