[ale] Nmap + filtered ports

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 7 17:08:27 EST 2005

Christopher Fowler wrote:

>Can someone tell me how nmap sees "filtered" ports?  I've got my rule se
>to reject and nmap can see that something is there but it is being
>rejected.  I thought "REJECT" would appear as if there was no one bind
>()'ing on that port?

I think you're looking confusing "REJECT" with  "DROP".  "REJECT"
replies with, what is considered proper nettiquette, that the port is
blocked/not accepting connections.  "DROP" does just that, drops the
packets to nowheresvile without any replies.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~peterb/network/drop-vs-reject

Calvin...