[ale] missing dependencies

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 23:01:05 EST 2005

> You experience was different from mine. I quit using Fedora in
> general because
> of the problems I had with using KDE in FC3. I didn't like what it
> did to the
> menus.

Change the theme.  You don't have to use the "RedHat-ized" KDE
menus.  I didn't like them either.

> I didn't like missing options in the control center. I hated the way
> dependencies were set and I often had trouble building other KDE
> apps I had
> downloaded.

That's the purpose behind the inclusion of not one, but two package
managers.  I haven't been in "dependency hell" in years.

> All of that went away for good when I switched to Slackware. And
> on the KDE-Linux mailing list, Rex Dieter finds lots of people
> looking for a
> way to make KDE work better on Fedora. That's why the KDE-Redhat
> project is
> still going strong.

To be fair, my server platform of choice is FreeBSD.  The ports
collection is just an organized way of doing exactly what you're
doing under slack.

Hmmm...  Still don't have the widely noised problems with KDE that
most do.  Maybe I don't try to tinker with it, and just use one of
the default themes "as-is"...

 >shrug<

--J