[ale] Some Headway RE: Configuring X11 on SuSE-9.3

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 3 16:35:47 EST 2005

John,
Geoffrey and others I think have pointed out all the real solutions so
I'll just mention one item:  In Yast2's software manager, you can check
the box for "Check dependencies".  This will allow the manager to double
check that all dependencies are solved for the software your picking as
you go along.  You can click on any package you want and the appropriate
dependencies are added for you.  You can watch disk space get calculated
for the install as you do this.  You can use Yast2 to reconfigure
hardware settings later, such as the mouse, to see if a different mouse
setting will help you.  Just note down, before you do this, the Suse
help manager's explanation of how to control KDE with only the keyboard
available.    I don't remember the key functions off the top of my head
but IIRC it is Cntrl+F3 would switch to desktop number 3.  Or, Alt+Tab
switches between running programs for KDE.    If you kill all running
programs, one at a time, while staying in KDE, then the Tab or Alt+Tab
may be the combination that gets you into the KDE menus where you can
shutdown.  In KDE, Alt+F2 will allow you to type in a program's name to
start it, such as Konsole.  Once in Konsole you have a shell to really
get things back under control.  Kicker, which is the Taskbar, will crash
in 9.3 occasionally or take 99% of the CPU.  You can use the Alt+F2 to
start a Konsole to kill Kicker and restart a new one.  This is a
lifesaver for when Kicker goes nuts since you will not seem to be able
to switch desktops or get out of KDE in a graphical manner as newbies
would require.

You can also use the SUSE forums that are on the web to ask questions
about the mouse or search for an answer.  Go to www.opensuse.org and
check out the Documentation or Help Links that are posted.  There are
several forums you could use for specific questions.

In SUSE there is rpm based packages of documentation you can install for
Xorg and SUSE Linux.  Entire books are there to access.  That could be a
big help if you don't have the actual books from a bought package.
Hope this helps,
Dow