[ale] Syntax problem

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 28 02:33:45 EDT 2005

Most of the time people don't try to go beyond 10 nanosecond
simulations.  It has been just too time consuming.  Now, with faster
cheaper Linux clusters much longer simulations are becoming within
reach.  Your right though, about several hundred nanoseconds in a bad
simulation being not a good thing!  Applying all known good experimental
data to your simulation initially helps keep the simulation within
reality.  Too many simulations are setup from the get go without every
bit of good data being applied.  It all goes back to knowing the
literature and being able to separate the good data from poor data.  You
have to apply what you can to keep the simulation from being out there
in la la land.

One of our systems is the G-Protein Coupled Receptor CB1 immersed in a
lipid bilayer that is solvated with water.  I think we have around ~50K
atoms in the simulation.  It looks visually like a cube with three
layers.  The water layers are on both sides of the lipid bilayer
solvating the phospholipid headgroups.  You can go to
http://www.lipid.wabash.edu/, which is Dr. Scott Feller's homepage, to
get an idea of what a similar system looks like.  He is working on lipid
bilayer simulations containing the GPCR in your eye that responds to
photons called Rhodopsin.
Dow