[ale] Can I tell my Linksys router to always serve the same I P address?

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Wed Aug 24 15:05:57 EDT 2005

Jim -

I have a couple of simple LinkSys routers and a brand-X ('Airlink'), and all
work the same way: if a machine is to have a specific IP, I must set up its
configuration and its IP must lie in a range defined by the router.

Setup includes identifying nameservers' IPs (on the WAN - I use my ISP's
DNS), but those are the same IPs I gave the router got when I set _it_ up:
it's manual, but I have the information.

Machines to which ports are forwarded must have static IPs on the LAN (says
the manual).

My Linux and Win boxen (and an anecdotal sample of other toys - latest a
LinkSys VoIP modem) generally _request_ that DHCP re-serve them the last IP
address they had, and these seem to be honored where they don't conflict
with my LAN IP range and other active machines. I suppose there is no
guarantee of this behavior.

I haven't seen any expiry on those assignements.

I know this doesn't meet all your criteria, but it seems to achieve what you
wanted.

 - Mills