[ale] Still no flames... :-)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 15:39:20 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 14:51 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> >
> >   top shows acroread using 5.9% of memory without ever loading a
> > document.  XFree is only using 5.2%, Firefox 4.2%, Evolution 4.0.  YMMV.
> >
> > Gpdf is nice, at least until you want to print the PDF (but who on earth
> > would ever need to do that, right?) *shrugs*
> >

> I've never had a problem printing from xpdf or gpdf unless I'm having
> problems printing anything PostScript... YMMV on that, as well.

Printing from gpdf still isn't possible with Debian stable (ok, so
Debian stable might be a bit dated, but so are school and a lot of
company business systems).  Printing from xpdf is great if you only have
one printer or despise constantly changing your default printer in
cups).

> There are ways to improve nearly everything.

Including file formats.  How far do you think you will get convincing
Adobe to extend PDF or PS?  I honestly don't know how "open" the format
is, but I suspect the copyright holders are probably pretty protective.
I could be wrong however.

> And, while 94 MB may be a lot for a viewer, it's more the just a viewer.

That is my point, it's bloated with "extras". ;-)

-Jim P.