[ale] Still no flames... :-)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 14:35:46 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 14:20 -0400, Christopher R. Curzio wrote:
> I don't see how you can say PDF sucks because it "requires bloatware to
> view." That's absurd. Acrobat Reader is a fairly lightweight application
> (especially the *nix version), and if that's too heavy there's always
> GPDF, which works great.

 $cd  /usr/local/Adobe/
 $du -sh Adobe/
   94M     Adobe/   <- 94 MB for a viewer?

 $/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread

  top shows acroread using 5.9% of memory without ever loading a
document.  XFree is only using 5.2%, Firefox 4.2%, Evolution 4.0.  YMMV.

Gpdf is nice, at least until you want to print the PDF (but who on earth
would ever need to do that, right?) *shrugs*

-Jim P.