[ale] Structured Documentation

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:31:35 EDT 2005

Another XML editor I've used somewhat is Altova's (http://www.altova.com/)
Authentic (http://www.altova.com/download_authentic.html), which is free.

Also, I don't completely understand how they've implemented it, but Rice
University's Connexions Project (http://cnx.rice.edu) uses Plone for their
CMS, and all of the published modules are written in their schema, CNXML.
The items published have full version histories, too.

WMM

On 8/22/05, gharri2 at emory.edu <gharri2 at emory.edu> wrote:

> Shoot, this is one of those perpetual projects that I never get far along
> on. In
> my messing around, though, I've found a few things.
>
> Getting an editor that doesn't scare away the folks you would depend upon
> maintain the documents, & yet deals with arbitrary XML elements & schemata
> (that is, something other than *HTML) is not easy, except when it's not
> cheap.
> I have not had sufficient success with doing so in OpenOffice--the steps
> are
> laid out clearly:
> http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/
> but it didn't entirely work, the last three or so times I tried it (& I
> had the
> same unsatisfactory results using the Text Encoding Initiative DTD &
> Sebastian
> Rahtz's stylesheets).
>
> Conglomerate ( http://www.conglomerate.org/ ) is pretty close to what I
> was
> hoping for, but the problem is in my workplace, which is MS, exclusively.
>
> DocBookWiki is pretty interesting:
> http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/
> At the bottom of that page, the related links include demos, such as the
> Albanian Constitution (kushtetuta).
>
> Cocoon/Lenya is what I mean to mess with next:
> http://lenya.apache.org/
> I'm wondering if either the BXE or kupu editors will work as I hope.
>
> David Tolpin wrote a What You See Is What You Mean plugin for jEdit, but
> withdrew it soon after making it public. Durn. Here, though, is the user
> guide:
> http://www.davidashen.net/PreTI/jEdit/users-guide.html
>
> Grady Harris
> Grady Hospital Branch Library
> Quoting ale-request at ale.org:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:58:02 -0400
> From: Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net>
> Subject: [ale] Structured Documentation
> To: ale at ale.org
>
> I'm looking for open-source ways to generate and maintain structured
> documents.
>
> When I say "structured documents" I'm talking about technical or
> procedural manuals suitable for printing or screen reading. I'd like to
> be able to create a revision history on a part-by-part basis such that
> if I made a change to part 3.1.7, a new version of the entire doc would
> be generated and a look back at the previous version would show the
> pre-change 3.1.7. Or, if I selected 3.1.7 and did some kind of history
> call-up on it, I'd see the current version plus all previous versions,
> their dates, and who modified them.
>
> Anyone know of anything in existence that works close to this? I've got
> an idea in my head somewhere between Lyx and how Gentoo's online XML
> docs work.
>
> Jeff

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:05:34 -0400
> [...]

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s