[ale] Structured Documentation

gharri2 at emory.edu gharri2 at emory.edu
Mon Aug 22 09:26:52 EDT 2005

Shoot, this is one of those perpetual projects that I never get far along on. In
my messing around, though, I've found a few things.

Getting an editor that doesn't scare away the folks you would depend upon to
maintain the documents, & yet deals with arbitrary XML elements & schemata
(that is, something other than *HTML) is not easy, except when it's not cheap.
I have not had sufficient success with doing so in OpenOffice--the steps are
laid out clearly:
http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/
but it didn't entirely work, the last three or so times I tried it (& I had the
same unsatisfactory results using the Text Encoding Initiative DTD & Sebastian
Rahtz's stylesheets).

Conglomerate ( http://www.conglomerate.org/ ) is pretty close to what I was
hoping for, but the problem is in my workplace, which is MS, exclusively.

DocBookWiki is pretty interesting:
http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/
At the bottom of that page, the related links include demos, such as the
Albanian Constitution (kushtetuta).

Cocoon/Lenya is what I mean to mess with next:
http://lenya.apache.org/
I'm wondering if either the BXE or kupu editors will work as I hope.

David Tolpin wrote a What You See Is What You Mean plugin for jEdit, but
withdrew it soon after making it public. Durn. Here, though, is the user guide:
http://www.davidashen.net/PreTI/jEdit/users-guide.html

Grady Harris
Grady Hospital Branch Library
Quoting ale-request at ale.org: