[ale] Vonage redux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 18 11:39:49 EDT 2005

Mills, John M. wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I have a fairly simple home [sub]net with a static IP, a very simple Airlink
> wired/wireless router, and two users: one hard-wired, one wireless (minimal
> WEP encryption and known MAC for link security). I am considering a Vonage
> subscription, plugged into the router by wired link and just "doing its own
> thing" with Vonage's servers.
>
> The router now passes all outgoing and response packets, but does not
> currently forward any ports to specific LAN IPs.
>
> I scanned the recent 'Vonage' thread and it seems to suggest this will work
> if I simply plug the Vonage modem into any available enternet slot in the
> LAN, but answers to a couple of questions would raise my confidence:
>
> Q1: Does Vonage service require any inbound ports be forwarded to its modem,
> or does the modem initiate the connection and get only repies, even for
> inbound phone calls? Vonage' installation notes list a potload of ports
> which shouldn't be blocked, but don't say if any must be specifically
> forwarded to their modem.

I don't beleive I changed my firewall at all when I hooked mine up,
similar configuration.

> Q2: Does Vonage typically provide the modem, or do most customers go buy one
> (LinkSys or whatever) from a third party? Any strong preferences? (I know I
> could replace the simple Airlink router with a "known brand" - is this
> useful?)

I got my free (with a rebate on my first bill) from Vonage.

> Q3: If Vonage service requires inbound port forwarding, do they provide a
> modem that can use a fixed IP in my LAN?

Yes, the one I have permits you to configure it's ip.

> Q4: Vonage' notes suggest that putting their interface behind the modem does
> sacrifice some functionality (e.g., QoS control), but that it should work.
> What should I anticipate happening to the phone link when another system is
> keeping the LAN busy?

Actually, you can't put it in front of the modem, it expects ethernet,
unless they have some kind of dual hardware that does the dsl modem
thing, but then, you wouldn't need the other modem.

I think what you read about is that if your whole pipe does not travel
through the voip device, then it can't control the qos.  Thus, if you're
on the phone and three folks on your network attempt to download or send
a large file, you will hear a difference.

The solution is to put it as follows:

dsl modem <-> firewall <-> voip device <-> the rest of your network.

rather then:

dsl modem <-> firewall <-> switch <-> your network including your voip
device.

--
Until later, Geoffrey