[ale] Vonage redux

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Thu Aug 18 09:42:16 EDT 2005

ALErs -

I have a fairly simple home [sub]net with a static IP, a very simple Airlink
wired/wireless router, and two users: one hard-wired, one wireless (minimal
WEP encryption and known MAC for link security). I am considering a Vonage
subscription, plugged into the router by wired link and just "doing its own
thing" with Vonage's servers.

The router now passes all outgoing and response packets, but does not
currently forward any ports to specific LAN IPs.

I scanned the recent 'Vonage' thread and it seems to suggest this will work
if I simply plug the Vonage modem into any available enternet slot in the
LAN, but answers to a couple of questions would raise my confidence:

Q1: Does Vonage service require any inbound ports be forwarded to its modem,
or does the modem initiate the connection and get only repies, even for
inbound phone calls? Vonage' installation notes list a potload of ports
which shouldn't be blocked, but don't say if any must be specifically
forwarded to their modem.

Q2: Does Vonage typically provide the modem, or do most customers go buy one
(LinkSys or whatever) from a third party? Any strong preferences? (I know I
could replace the simple Airlink router with a "known brand" - is this
useful?)

Q3: If Vonage service requires inbound port forwarding, do they provide a
modem that can use a fixed IP in my LAN?

Q4: Vonage' notes suggest that putting their interface behind the modem does
sacrifice some functionality (e.g., QoS control), but that it should work.
What should I anticipate happening to the phone link when another system is
keeping the LAN busy?

Thanks for any experience you could share and suggestions you might offer.

 - John Mills