[ale] Cobb Laptop Deal

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Aug 15 19:39:08 EDT 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Geoffrey wrote:

> Mark Wright wrote:
> > I am glad the deal fell apart even though I am a former Evangelist
> > member. ( Guy Kawasaki's old mailing list to promote mac info back a
> > few years)
> >
> > I think that computers in schools are just another impediment to a  good
> > education.  I believe there is no teen in the metro area that  cannot
> > operate a windows PC currently or passably given a day to  learn.
> > Putting PCs in schools unless, they are used just to teach  coding or
> > hardware design just takes away time from learning to read,  write and
> > do math.
>
> This is just patently false.  I was totally against the cobb computer
> debacle, but the computers in schools these days are used for a lot more
> then 'teach coding or hardware design.'  You don't even get the option
> to take such classes until late in middle school.  So what do you thing
> the students are doing with the computers in grades k-5?
>
> Further, you make an assumption that every teen in the metro area has
> access to a computer outside of school, and that is also false.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't think the computers in the schools are
> properly utilized, but they do a lot more with them then you've stated.
>
> I do realize there are all kinds of problems with computers in schools.
>   Teachers get little or no training, there is little or no support,
> poorly designed network infrastructure...

Amen. And then some.

> Computers can be used as a good educational tool just as books, chalk
> boards, white boards, overhead projectors..... are.  In a lot of cases
> they are.
>
> > The crazy thing is every time the government wants to spend more of  our
> > money to help students read, write and do math better, all you  have to
> > do is move the curtain back a little and see that the  opposite is  do a lot more then
> > ALWAYS the result.
> >
> > As you can see this is a sore point to me and I am restraining  myself!
> > My daughters go to a respected public school up here in cobb  and I
> > don't think it would be much of an exaggeration to say they  there are
> > probably as many guns and containers of alcohol in that  school as there
> > are computers.  I am dead serious.
>
> And you blame the school system or the government for that?  The problem
> with schools is that there is no parental involvement.  Schools are not
> supposed or intended to parent these children, that's the parents' job.

Although it is another line of discussion/flames altogether, parenting
problems are not the only school problem. There are a whole wealth of
problems facing all schools in this country, public and private. Parental
underinvolvement and parental overinvolvement (think the parent who is
always in the administration's/teacher's face sticking up for little
Johny.)

I don't know what the answers are. But the more I learn, the more I'm
impressed as Hell with the size of the problem.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown