[ale] multiple monitors - different desktops

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat Aug 13 20:12:10 EDT 2005

Preston Boyington wrote:
> I know some of you use multiple monitors to "spread" your desktop over a larger space (or maybe different workspaces on each monitor), but do they have to be a matched set?
>
> I am designing a setup for my home office and want to have a 19" LCD (centered) with two 17" LCD's on either side.  The 19" would be my main work screen and the 17's would feature my e-mail/spreadsheets/markups/whatever.
>
> Any recommendations on multi-head video cards, setup options, etc?  What monitors are you using?

G'day Preston,

   No, they don't need a matched set.  NVIDIA, GeForce4 or newer (consumer) and Quadro, have good multi-monitor capabilities.  One thing you'll need to consider is what resolutions you'll want to run when you attach multiple monitors to one video card....You may bump into total memory bandwidth limits.  I run a motherboard with the nForce2 IGP on my "media center" with outputs to a CRT and a TV (which could be CRT + CRT as easily).

   I'm thinking a good AGP card + a PCI card to split the load will serve you best (unless you pop for SLI or related PCI Express tech, but that depends on the motherboard you have too).

Check out http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20020322_4966.html
   The NVS 400 will run 4 display, but probably wouldn't be your best-bet for gaming.

If you settle on GeForce card(s), you can find my notes on their use here:
http://wiki.hopnet.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/DualScreen
http://wiki.hopnet.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/NvidiaNotes

--
from DownUnder (and a little to the left),
   Keith