[ale] Yet another regex question

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Aug 13 12:48:06 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 12:38 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 11:33 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> > I'm not sure why you can't tell it what not to catch.  It's simply an
> > extra line of code.  Is it limited by memory/space?
>
> Its written in C not perl.  Plus the design does not allow something
> like that.  If we modded it for one customer we would have to tree the
> code in CVS for that customer.  If they were using our perl agent
> instead I would still have to use the regex because we use the Expect
> module to do all regex matching.

The program sets on an embedded device at a remote office.  It contacts
a main server every startup do download a list of regular expressions or
strings it needs to search for.  If it sees anything it contacts the
main server and reports the alarm. It is device agnostic.  It knows no
difference between a Cisco and a Meridian PBX.  So if I hard coded it to
ignore anything that began with a %\s then it may not reports alarms
that some other device spits out on its console.  I believe the Cisco
actually displays alarms and begins them with %.