[ale] what to do with dozens of 40GB IDE drives?

Randal Jarrett K4RSJ rsj at radio.org
Wed Aug 10 22:32:09 EDT 2005

At the time that we did the test the only eval/test hardware available
from Coraid only supported PATA and 10/100 ethernet. I believe that they
now have their SATA / GigE hardware available.

There are downsides to the AOE.  All raid is done in software on the
target system, and drives are not shared between systems,  I'm sure that
there are times that this is sufficient for many applications but it is
not a replacement for a SAN system.

I see AOE as a good disk array for use for a single server and using
software RAID and/or LVM to partition and/or combine multiple drives.

If you get one of the Coraid shelf units with 10/14 drives, it shows up
on your system as 10/14 individual local drives, not as a large single
drive.

Randy