[ale] access problem with vsftpd on slackware

Rene Rasmussen ale at ras-world.dk
Mon Aug 8 11:04:57 EDT 2005

Hi,

I seem to have run into a little problem with my FTP server. Only root is
allowed to login, no matter what I do.

I use the following vsftpd.conf:

# My configuration of VSFTPD
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
anonymous_enable=NO
xferlog_enable=YES
xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
idle_session_timeout=600
data_connection_timeout=120
ascii_upload_enable=NO
ascii_download_enable=NO
nopriv_user=ftp
dirmessage_enable=YES
ftpd_banner=Welcome to FTP service
chroot_list_enable=NO
chroot_local_user=YES
background=YES
ls_recurse_enable=NO

I have setup a user with login and password. And I have made sure he is a
member of the FTP group.
He's able to login to the machine(bash) but he cannot login to the FTP server.
I just get a "530 Login incorrect" error.

The configuration shown here is actually my second try. I found this one on
the net. The description said that this was how to enable my local users to
login to the FTP server.
The first config actually did the same. I just used the default config file,
and changed a few of the options.

Could someone please check my config and tell me where I screwed up?
This is my first time trying to get a FTP server to work, so please be patient
with me. ;-)

The distro used for the FTP server is Slackware 10.1, and VSFTPD is version
2.0.1

Best regards,
Ren? Rasmussen