[ale] multiple monitors - different desktops

tejus at vijedi.net tejus at vijedi.net
Fri Aug 5 11:40:30 EDT 2005

With the Xorg Multihead extension (I forgot what it was called, something
like chimera) you don't need matched monitors.  At work I have an 14.1" LCD
at 1400x1050 and a POS 17" CRT that's only 1280x1024 connected to a ATI Rage
Mobility that works just fine in FC4 and windows.  Xorg will allow you to
pick the settings for each monitor individually.  Gnome and Xfce seem to
handle the different resolutions just fine.

At home I have an NVidea GeForce4 with dual crt outputs that connects to a
17" LCD and a 17" CRT both running 1280x1024.  I don't use the Xorg
extension for the setup but rely on a driver option provided by the NVidea
drivers.

 --Tejus