[ale] Vision impaired magnifier for mouse

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 4 03:22:26 EDT 2005

I've ended with mouseloupe working pretty well on suse93.  I had to add
a couple of Options to the xorg.conf Device section plus the required
Composite extension (see attached section below) to get accelerated
OpenGL and the Composite extension to play nice.  This may be where
Nvidia hardware, Twinview, and dual monitors don't work out as well as
the usual setup.  I just downloaded the package, unzipped it, ran make
and make install.  Worked like a charm and will do a circle or rectangle
around the mouse cursor.  If anyone has any ideas on how to make the
package hotkeyable so the magnifying function could be turned off and on
with a hotkey, let me know.  I've emailed the maintainers for info on
this.  The hardware accelerated applications hesitate and stop running
when the cursor moves.  If the cursor stops moving they pick back up
again.  Without the Composite extension being accessed the GLX stuff is
normal and very fast.  When Composite is accessed, the GL performance
goes down the tubes.  However, the GL enabled apps don't crash, so that
is useable at least.  Oh yeah, I have the NVIDIA X Driver  1.0-7664
installed.

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "GeForce FX 5700LE"
  BusID        "1:0:0"
  Driver       "nvidia"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "TwinView"
  Option       "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
  Option       "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "28-70"
  Option       "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-120"
  Option       "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024;"
  Screen       0
  Option       "Rotate" "off"
  Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
  Option "RenderAccel" "true"