[ale] changing terminal session name

Michael Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:09:37 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05, Jay Loden <jloden at toughguy.net> wrote:
> I use konsole under KDE and I was thinking it would be nice to have it so that
> when I launch "vim main.cpp" it changes the konsole session name (which is
> displayed on the session tab) to "main.cpp" so that I have an easy way to
> differentiate between files i have open in vim :)
>
> The same idea would also be great for ssh sessions.
>
> Anyone know how I would go about this? I'm not sure if this is a general
> terminal question, or konsole specific, but I was hoping one of the list
> members might have tried something like this previously.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jay

Many applications will do this if you set your termtype to xterm.  Try:

$ export TERM=xterm

And see what happens.  It works with xterm (obviously! :^)), GNOME
Terminal, and PuTTY on Windows.  I am not 100% certain about konsole,
but I don't see why they wouldn't have implemented that.

Also, you have to have an application that takes advantage of that.
That depends on what program you have installed as 'vi', and many
other things.

--- Mike

--
M. B. Trausch      http://fd0man.theunixplace.com/