[ale] Perl Obfuscation

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Apr 21 10:54:01 EDT 2005

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

    Christopher> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 10:03, Keith R. Watson wrote:
    >> If you're concerned about people profiting from your code, then
    >> the bottom line is that nothing but a restrictive license will
    >> give you legal security. License your software and pepper it
    >> with threatening statements like ``This is unpublished
    >> proprietary software of XYZ Corp. Your access to it does not
    >> give you permission to use it blah blah blah.'' We are not
    >> lawyers, of course, so you should see a lawyer if you want to
    >> be sure your license's wording will stand up in court.

    Christopher> This is a great idea that should be done by default.
    Christopher> Does anyone have good sample text?

I'd gotten pointed at this book as a good resource:

Web & Software Development: A Legal Guide
by Stephen Fishman
ISBN 1413300871

It's still sitting on my Amazon wishlist so I can't say more than
Nolo's pretty respected in general (I *believe* Clark Howard
recommends some of their other books).

And as for obfuscators, you might look at using PAR (par.perl.org) to
package everything up into a single file (with a copy of your license
file as well, of course :).  I'd steer away from the Acme:: stuff for
serious use though.

fletch at phydeaux.org|  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'