[ale] Silly Window Manager Trick: How can I export a control-panel widg et to start apps from a remote X-server?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 20 22:27:24 EDT 2005

Dow, Jeff, James -

Thanks for the notes.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Dow_Hurst wrote:

> IIUWYM (If I understand what you mean) ;)

 ... and I think you do ...

> then issue something like this command for a KDE panel with startup
> menus:

> ssh -X user at remotehost 'kicker'

Make sense - I was looking for something like that. I'll give it a shot.

> I believe something like this will work.  If your running Gnome then the
> command would be different for whatever the gnome TaskBar is where you
> can start programs.  Let me know if this works.  I used to get the
> "ToolChest" on the SGI to display locally from a remote machine.  I
> could run shells or the System Manager from that little Task Menu
> application.

I think I installed KDE and GNOME on these boxen; I generally use GNOME
locally, but that's immaterial in this case.

James  and Jeff - 'ssh -X' works fine here, but I don't what version of
SSH came in with Cygwin (which provides my local server).

Again, thanks to all. I'll be happy if I don't have to write anything, but
otherwise it looks like a 'case for Tk/Tcl' to me. I already have a simple
but usable 'mwmrc' on those systems for VNC sessions. I typically run just
a few apps remotely -- generally because of some resource the remote host
provices particularly well for my need.

Cheers.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu