[ale] Personal Finance Software

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 13 07:38:54 EDT 2005

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 22:09 -0400, Barry Hawkins wrote:

>>James P. Kinney III wrote:
>>
>>>Just finished the final migration from Quicken to gnucash. So far, wife
>>>likes it much better as she no longer needs to load up vmware.
>>
>>[...]
>>James, didn't you mention using sql-ledger for your stuff as well when
>>you gave that great SMB presentation?  Was that just business stuff, or
>>would you say folks could use that for personal finance as well?
>

> Sql-Ledger can also be used for personal stuff. It is much more business
> oriented than is GnuCash. GnuCash is much more like Quicken (NOT
> Quickbooks). Since it only runs on a single machine (OK. It can use an
> NFS shared file storage but not multi-access. The Postgresql backend was
> not complete enough the last time I was testing it) it is not suitable
> for a business where more than 1 person needs to hit the books.

I know this thread is discussing Sql-Ledger, but I'd like to clarify
something regarding GnuCash.  I'm by no means a cfo, but my impression
of GnuCash is that it would work well for a small business who has a
single accountant doing the books.  It has some stuff like invoicing,
P&L and such which is not necessary for the home user.  I've not
reviewed it completely, but it does seem to be a full fledged accounting
system for a small business.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm really not studied the app.
completely as of yet.

--
Until later, Geoffrey