[ale] Burning CDs

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Sat Apr 9 14:17:48 EDT 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 09:39 pm, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> I downloaded k3b yesterday; version 0.11.14-2
>
> When I try to run the program, I get a splash screen plumb dab in the
> middle of the desktop with a line across the bottom border saying
> "scanning for devices." This splash screen insists on remaining on
> top of the desktop. All other windows, including the active one, stay
> beneath it. No matter what. /var/log/messages offers no clues. Neither
> do top or ps.  There it sits. Tried this just am minute ago and and
> couldn't even kill the damn thing. Got the PID from ps and issued the
> kill -9 command. Nada. Finally had to log out to kill it.
>
> I found the main k3b directory in /usr/share/apps. But there doesn't
> seem to be a configuration file there I might be able to edit to begin
> with.

This is a pretty old version of K3B. The current version is 0.11.23. There is
also a setup module you can run in it that allows you to run as the "burning"
group and set permissions every which way. You might consider building the
latest version from source. Fedora is not the friendliest environment for KDE
apps, anyway. And using their packages often compounds the difficulties.