[ale] dump and ACL's

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Apr 9 06:23:51 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 04:28 -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:

> older dumps don't support ACLs / EAs

> 1. use old dump + restorecon afterward (works if you don't mind the
> errors, and don't customize)
>
> 2. use beta dump with support for EAs

OK. I'll dig it up and see if it will back port (?) to RH4/Centos4

> Fedora Core 3 updates and 4 when it ships have the new dump with EA
> support. RHEL 3 and 4 doesn't yet since it's fairly beta. If it's
> important to you to have it supported for RHEL, harass your support
> critter (not an option with Centos, but you get what you pay for ;-) about
> getting it updated in the next quarterly update. If you don't care about
> support, just use the beta one from Fedora or build your own from
> sourceforge....

<rant> seems like a shot in the foot to ship an enterprise product
without a working backup and restore procedure for complete replacement
of the filesystem.</rant>

> > How does tar handle this? (I don't think it does ACL inode data either)
>
> it doesn't, but star does

Hmm. Looking for star on Centos4 and not finding it. see rant above.