[ale] Burning CDs

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Fri Apr 8 11:00:39 EDT 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 10:21 am, Dow_Hurst wrote:

| The most common solution to your problem is the permissions on the device
file for your cd burner.

okay, did that.  Changed permissions and ownership of both of my CD
drives. One is an ATAPI device (/dev/hdc) and the other is a USB
CD reader (/dev/scd0). No help. xcdroast still hangs and when I close
the window, the program does not die.  I have to track down its PID
and send a [kill -9] to kill it. And seeing as how it is newly installed,
the program requires that it be started by root. I start it from the
command line and I then can not get control of that shell again until
I have issued the kill command from a second shell.

I am willing to bring this machine to the next ALE Central meeting and
plug it in to the projector if anyone thinks he/she can fix this.
I _really_ do not want to downgrade the kernel as I fear that would cause
other problems.  Might make a good 15 minute switchboard presentation.

Sean