[ale] Q: How to suffix GNU tools' names

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Thu Apr 7 12:25:56 EDT 2005

ALErs -

I am building some tools to support 'legacy' kernel versions, libraries, and
applications in current Linux (200504 - Fedora core) and I want to append
version-suffixes to them. I'm building in FC3 using gcc-3.4.2.

1) I just configured 'gcc-2.95.3' with "--program-suffix=-2.95
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --prefix=<installation_path>" and
have no problems building the compiler, but for some reason it is installed
simply as "<prefix>/bin/gcc" [and sibs], instead of the name I wanted:
"<prefix>/bin/gcc-2.95", etc. Anyone know why they were built with default
names?

2) Should I define "--target=<legacy_linux>" when I configure?

3) I want these tools to build from a specific set of '*.h' and library
files, not the system defaults. I will keep a separate tree for these files.
How should I achieve this?

Basically I want to treat these 'legacy' builds as if they were
cross-builds. How do folks suggest my organizing tools and sources?

TIA.

 - John Mills