[OT] WRT54G, was: Re: [ale] [OT] VoIP recommendations

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Sat Apr 2 23:57:09 EST 2005

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> How reliable are the third party images?  Is it possible to revert in
> the case that something goes wrong?

I looked into the 3rd party firmwares ~6 months ago. At that time, there were
only a handful of choices, and the best one then was the Sveasoft image. But,
they're charging a yearly subscription fee to get access to the images. For
myself, I'd pay it, but it might not be worth it for someone else. *shrug*

> What's the probability that the router will become a paperweight if I
> load one of the third party images onto it?  If there's much more then a
> minimal chance, then I will probably wait until I can afford to replace
> the router before I do something like that.

If you can put some time into researching the options, you should be able to
find a firmware image that won't pooch your router. Like I mentioned above, I'd
personally go with the Sveasoft images, but there are many more available. I
found this link to a list of the available 3rd parties...

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=233

> Is there any links to a page with consolidated information on different
> 3rd party firmware images, or is it just kinda Google and see what you
> find?  I'm finding (some) things, but not a whole lot, really.

Check out the link above for the different 3rd party images.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org