[ale] Caller ID spoofing

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 17:33:01 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 17:14 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 17:07 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 16:59 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > > I just got a CID spoofed call
> >
> > Define what you mean by spoofed.  Did they present the number as being
> > from a non-approved source?
>
> The number presented in the CID was a disconnected number. I called it
> back to complain about the automated sales call.

I wonder if that falls in the gray area between explicitly dis-allowed
and social acceptable.  Clearly there would be a violation if the CID
represent an un-related legitimate entity.  But this case leaves open
the possibility of a configuration error at the company doing the
marketing for the Geeks, a funding/billing issue related to a temporary
disconnect, or even the possibility of intentionally using an ID that
they own even though there is no registration for it in the Bellsouth
switching network.

Have you googled the number to see who owns it?

-Jim P.