[ale] Re: Anyone having problems with comcast now?

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 1 23:14:12 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 14:47 -0500, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005 11:20 AM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 2005 10:58 AM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm having trouble at home, and I wonder if it is a comcast problem.
> > > I can only get to google on the web.  I can't get to cnn, slashdot,
> > > xilinx, or even comcast.net.
> >
> > Hmm.  My laptop is okay.  I've rebooted my router, and then my
> > computer, but I'm still having this trouble.
> >
> > What can cause this?  Ping works, and I can make TCP connections, but
> > I can't get much data through them.  wget hangs, and so does my mail
> > reader.
>
> That was really weird.  My laptop (wireless) and another computer
> (wired) both worked, but my desktop did not.  I rebooted it and the
> router and it was still broken.  I could ping and make connections,
> but I couldn't read any websites except ones on google, localhost, and
> the router.  I couldn't get mail, either.
>
> I went to lunch and there musta have been a power outage as the
> computers were all off (except the laptops, of course).  When I booted
> my main system it worked fine!
>
> I don't have the faintest idea what could have been wrong.  Surreal.
>
> Michael
>
> I don't have the faintest idea what

That sounds similar to an experience I had several months ago. An issue
that was never resolved, I might add.

The story goes ...

Sys #1;
I have 2 NICs; 1 on-board and 1 off-board. ( The on-board NIC was
offline due to driver issues)

This computer was connecting to Comcast via a Linux firewall/router box
(Sys #2) and for testing purposes, I removed Sys#2 and connected Sys#1
directly to the internet. Everything was fine until I finally got the
on-board NIC working.

Using the on-board NIC, I was unable to connect to Google.com, Sun.com
and several other sites. So I an "ifdown" on-board and "ifup" off-board
and everything worked fine. This prompted a call to Comcast to solve the
issue, but we could not. They insisted it was "spyware." I also e-mailed
Google, as they have been known to block certain Comcast customers. That
was a dead end.

This issue was never resolved, and sounds interestingly similar to your
problem.

rcr