[ale] USB IDE enclosure

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Sep 30 14:21:34 EDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 16:49, John Wells wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> Looking for a USB (and possibly firewire) IDE enclosure that plays well
>> and easily with Linux.  Any recommendations?
>
> Delta Computers on Tilly Mill Rd near the Home Depot has a good
> selection of basic, no-frills, USB HD enclosures for both 3.5" and 2.5"
> drives. Good prices, too.
>
> As long as the corresponding USB support is a kernel module or compiled
> in, it "just works".

I have one that does not "just work" under Linux. I used to use in
FreeBSD, but then I discoved it was the cause of my (previously believed
to be unrealated) kernel panics. A little googling revealed that it was
the chipset and the device works great on windows. I haven't tried it with
a 2.6 kernel, though.

 	bjorn

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche
XO Audio LLC