[ale] Lockups

David Corbin dcorbin at enttek.com
Wed Sep 29 09:53:51 EDT 2004

I have Dell Dimesnion 4600 that dual boots as WIndows XP and Gentoo Linux
(desktop), running Kernel 2.6.7.  It seems to suffer "random lockups", most
often during the 'startup process".  The system is entirely frozen an
unresponsive -- no mouse, not keyboard input.  no switching virtual screens.
And the disk-activity light is 'on solid'.  OTOH, usually  if I can get
booted, I can run for hours, or a day without any problems.  Unfortunately,
it runs pretty well under WIndows, considering the OS.  FWIW, the two OSes
are on different physical drives.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to diagnose the root cause.

Thanks
David