[ale] Ghost for Linux

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Tue Sep 28 15:58:09 EDT 2004

Believe it or not, I've been trying to craft a way to ask this without
getting flamed for about 3 days.  In the past, I've used ghost and / or
drive image to do this, but I'm getting tired of making nt bootdisks.
Here's the skinny:

what I have:
  - for each 'type' (we have 3) of computer setup we have, build an
image, and store it on a central location (currently, a linux server
running samba)
  - anytime there is a suspected software error, or we get a new
machine, boot the computer using an nt boot disk, and re-image the
machine using the DOS version of ghost over the network (takes about 7
minutes, much faster than troubleshooting).  Since all of the users
profile data is stored on the server, they just log in, and boom,
they're up and running

what I want:
  - run a knoppix terminal server so that machines can boot from the
network (i.e. no need to carry around a bunch of network boot disks, use
pxe boot)
  - when there is a suspected software problem, or we get a new machine,
boot the computer into linux over the network into linux.  Run a *nix
version of ghost / drive image / whatever (I've tried one [can't
remember the name, an ncurses tool, but it was very slow, and created
huge images, based on dd])pull down the image, boot into doze (or
whatever os that machine was), and have the user back up and running.
--
registered linux user # 73046

Nathan J. Underwood
Cyber Tech Cafe' <><