[ale] C++ Debuggery and the Path of Destruction

Barry Rountree rountree at cs.uga.edu
Fri Sep 24 21:09:57 EDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 08:41 pm, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>

> Naturally, I got a bit too clever

It's almost certainly going to be easier to rewrite it as something less
clever, but hey, where's the fun in that?

;-)

> Any suggestions how to track this self-administered wedgie down?

Any chance of posting some code?

I finally gave up on getting memory management right the first (second,
nth...) time and started populating my code with debug statements to the
effect of:

__FILE__::__LINE__ is now creating a __WHATEVER__, address 0xabcddcab
__FILE__::__LINE__ is now deleting a __WHATEVER__, address 0xabcddcab

This made me look like a rank amateur, but also a rank amateur who generally
was able to leave at 5pm.

You can also try zeroing out the object's memory during destruction -- that
might let you segfault a bit sooner at a more useful location.

Combine the two and you should see an object getting freed that is later
referenced.

Good luck!

Barry