[ale] 2.6.8.1 Kernel Panic

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Fri Sep 24 09:27:15 EDT 2004

Umm. This sounds like you don't have the right drivers for your disk or
file system in your new kernel. You can load them via an "initrd.img"
file or just make sure they're compiled in. Without knowing what your
hardware is or your file system (ext3?) I cannot tell you what they
might be, alas.  You might be able to solve the "too big" problem by
cutting down the number of things you're compiling into the kernel in
your .config file and making them into modules loaded with insmod(8)
instead. I'd be Really Surprised if substituting a 2.4 config file for
your 2.6 one did  anything useful.

Also, some googling around found this
( http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5793467888.html ) which might be
helpful. I note with interest that it hints about changes to /etc/fstab.
It looks like you might not be getting that far though.

-- CHS