[ale] does anyone know of a linux distro small enough to fit on a 64 meg usb Compact Flash?

Daquarious Jackson daquarious at hushmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:10:59 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:35:19 -0700 Van Loggins <vloggins at turbocorp.com>
wrote:
>I had downloaded DamnSmallLinux (DSL) 0.7.3 but it errors out
>when I attempt to boot it up from a USB CD-RW drive to install
>it on the Compact Flash Drive. I booted the system up with the
>Cebits LinuxDefender version of Knoppix and was able to fdisk
>the drive so I am thinking that the problem is with how the guys
>at DSL have modified their version of Knoppix.
>
>I'm playing around with a Mini-ITX Via C3 800 MHz thin client
>device and I want to replace the contents of the Compact
>Flashdisk that it boots off of with Linux. Hopefully this will
>give me the ability to tweak and configure it to suit my needs.
>The Previous version of Windows CE that was on it, wasn't to my
>liking.
>
>I get the digest version of the list so please respond to me and
>to the list if possible.
>
>thanks!!!!

It won't fit on 64meg, BUT...

I *highly* recommend SLAX which is based on Slackware. I've been
using v4.1.2 on a 256meg keychain for about 3 months and have
been quite pleased. (I see they're now up to v4.1.4)

http://slax.linux-live.org/

Running SLAX from USB FlashDrive:

http://slax.linux-live.org/doc_install.php#inst2flash

P.S. A belated thanx for the invite!