[ale] OT: Voting question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Sep 22 13:18:02 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 09:52, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> > I have considered running for office after I change my name to "none of
> > the above".
>
> Like the long distance companies that register names like "I don't know" or
> "anyone".  When you sign up for a phone and the operator asks you which long
> distance company you want, be very careful what you reply with....
>
> Kinda sneaky, but I sorta admire the cleverness while abhorring the slimyness.

Having giving it a bit more thought (2 neurons allocated, 1 used) I
would prefer to see a permanent  "none of the above" option for every
ballot choice. This would allow me the ability to express my true
opinion of "All of these idiots are not qualified to make decisions that
affect me and therefore I don't want any of them".

Since that is not an option, I will gladly support the alternate ballot
method of ranking candidates as "prefer", "accept" and "do NOT want".
Then the counting occurs: If 50% +1 is achieved on the "prefer", that
candidate wins, otherwise, the winner is the 50%+1 of the "accept"
votes. The "NOT" votes subtract from the "prefer" count. Each voter can
use an "accept" and either a "NOT or a "prefer".

Hmm. This will make for an interesting discussion to waste lots of
peoples time on ALE :)

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>